REACh : Restriction of 33 CMR substances in textile, footwear and clothing articles
The European Commission published on the last 10th October a new regulation amending Annex XVII to Regulation (EC) No 1907/2006 (REACH), which restrict 33 substances classified as carcinogenic, mutagenic or toxic for reproduction (CMR) in textile, footwear, leather goods and clothing articles.
The targeted substance’s families are:
- Phthalates (DPP, DNHP…)
- Extractible Heavy Metals (Cadmium, Chromium VI, Arsenic, Lead)
- Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAH)
- Colouring agents (Disperse blue 1, Basic red 9…)
- Solvents (NMP, DMAc) and particularly the Dimethylformamide and the Formaldehyde
For every substance, a maximum concentration limit by weight (mg/kg) has been set in this regulation (Appendix 12).
These substances shall not be placed on the market in amount exceeding the maximum concentration limit for the aforesaid article categories after the 1 st November 2020.
The restriction shall however not apply to below articles already concerned by other restrictions:
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Articles made exclusively of natural leather, fur or hide
Web link to the official text of the European Commission: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32018R1513&from=EN
We remain available for any further information you may need.